Discussion Category:  Water Purification

No water coming out

Hello everyone! The system is a Milli-Q Direct-8.

The issue: when I press the QPod point of use gun, no water comes out.

More info: However, I hear the pump working and the "click"when I press the trigger. Using the QPod dispensing function key does not work either. The system started outputting less water after someone dispensed 44L at once. After that the change QPak filter came on. I changed the filter, started dispensing water with the BioPAK filter still on the dispenser, water started coming out, I set 10min timer and walked away. Once I came back (after 10min), no water was coming out. Since then, no water has come out except once when I mimicked me changing the QPak filter again; where the system dispensed water for a few minutes.

What I have tried:

-Changed the whole QPod and Gun with a working one = no change

-Went to the MilliQ technical menu and ran all the tests and no issues detected

-There are no warning signs displaying; green LED shows in the system

-An electrical engineer passed by and checked different aspects; he said the issue does not seem to be electrical.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Asked by

learning_science
Report this Post
Paul Moyer

it's possible the tank level switch is sensing full but the tank is actually empty. This is a common problem on some of the millipore larger systems. Make sure the tank is full, also the pump could be defective but not likely or you might have an airlock in the system.

Report this Post
learning_science

Thank you for teh reply paul. 

The RO water tank is full (confirmed by the instrument as well as visually). Also, I unplugged the tubing from the QPod point of use system and once I press the gun "trigger" water comes out of one of teh tubbings (the water will not come out once I plug tubbing back, and as I mentioned when I put in a working unit QPod, water won't come out either).

FYI the unit is about 8 years old.

If I have an airlock, how do I get rid of it?

Thank you

Report this Post
Paul Moyer

If you can access the pump, you could try removing the outlet side to see if it has enough pressure. Just be cautious and don't get any of the electrical connections wet. The pump could be turning but may have lost its efficiency.

Report this Post
Paul Moyer

If you can access the pump, you could try removing the outlet side to see if it has enough pressure. Just be cautious and don't get any of the electrical connections wet. The pump could be turning but may have lost its efficiency.

Report this Post
learning_science

I will try, but it is very intricate.

How would I know if the pressure is enough? 

Thank you

Report this Post
Paul Moyer

When the pump is on the flow should be strong so be careful, if the flow is trickling or looks weak then the pump is most likely worn. My suggestion would be to call for Millipore service at this point. Where are you located?

Report this Post
learning_science

I will see if I dare to put my hands in there !

I am located in Auburn, Alabama (Auburn University).

I have reached out to Millipore asking for a quote for technician + potentially changing distribution pump; however they have not gotten back to me yet. 

Thank you for all the help Paul. 

Report this Post
Paul Moyer

I just wanted location too see if I Knew the Millipore rep in your area, unfortunatley I do not.

Report this Post
learning_science

I appreciate the intent; thank you!

Report this Post
marie5304
Hi! I'm having a similar issue with my DirectQ3. It was just working and then stopped when I replaced the SmartPak. I will try removing the outlet side of the pump as well, but I've seen other mentions of an airlock, and it doesn't really look like water has gotten into the SmartPak itself. Also, there is a higher flow rate of water coming out of the drain line than there used to be. Are there any other reasons why water is no longer getting into the SmartPak in the first place?
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1