Discussion Category:  Scintillation Counters

Rack Motion Error

The Error is that there is no rack Motion. The racks travel via the belts but the chains do not move. Is this a circuit board issue or something more? I have seen rack sensor and chain dog sensor boards available on eBay...would one of these be the problem? How difficult are these to replace?

Any help is appreciated.

Joel

Asked by

Joel A
Report this Post
dpkleessr
It sounds like the rack present sensor is not detecting your racks and that is why the chain does not move. You did not specify which racks you are using but typically this happens with the blue mini vial racks. Often times a minor adjustment of the potentiometer on the board itself can fix the problem. In order to do this you need a DVM, a small flat blade screwdriver, and a little dexterity to get into the sensor with both your test lead and the screwdriver. If you are up to it let me lnow and I'll give you further instructions. Don
Report this Post
Joel A

It is indeed happening with the mini vial racks. Further instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Report this Post
dpkleessr
Joel, Does it also do it with the Maxi racks? Don
Report this Post
Joel A

I don't know-I only use the small vials. I can check on that today.

Report this Post
Joel A

The chains don't move large vial racks either.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Joel, Then your problem is the rack sensor has either failed or needs a little tweaking. Do you have a DVM and a small flat blade screwdriver because that is what is needed to determine if the sensor has failed or if it just needs a little adjustment?

Don

Report this Post
Joel A

Yes, I have those available.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Joel, note where there is an opening down in the lower right back corner wall of the sample changer bed.  You will probably need a flashlight to see where the sensor is located and then straight up from there you should see an opening with a black test point and small potentiometer.  Insert the positive meter lead into the test point and the ground lead into one of the ground leads on the main board assembly.  Note the reading and then manually slide either rack to the front of the changer bed and see what happens to the voltage reading.  If memory serves me correctly, the voltage should go from around 5 volts DC down to about 1 to 1.5 volts DC.  If the voltage does not move with one type of rack at all then check the other rack too in order to see if the sensor is just dead.  Chances are that it will just need a little tweaking.  I know that you may be thinking that no one has adjusted the sensor at all so why should it have changed somehow?  No good reason that I can give you because I never figured out why that could happen in the almost 30 years that I worked on all of the Beckman benchtop LS counters that used the same sample changer bed sensor setup.  It just happens right along with the sensor failing for no reason either.  The other thing to look for is has the sensor alignment been shifted by someone poking or cleaning the changer bed such that it is not pointing forward and slightly to the left.  That has happened to me too.  Give it a shot and let me know.

Don

Report this Post
Joel A

Thanks Don. I won't be able to try it until the weekend, but I will let you know what happens.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1