Discussion Category:  Software

Can't initialize Temperature Controlleras accessory in TISM

Hello,

We got an issue with our equipment here at the moment. We use a J-815 CD Spectrometer with a Temperature controller as accessory.

When we start up a window apears that the temperature controller is not attached. Under Control>Select Accessory, I can select the Auto Peltier 6-cell Changer. 

Than a Accessory window apears that the accessory was attached, but it says not initialized. 

When I click on initialize, nothing happens. The only thing you see is that in the information screen, the CD spectrometer changes for a second from idle to busy.

I checked in the device manager and the ptc is there, also the driver and i works normally.

Can anyone give me some advice what to do?

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,

J.

Asked by

Jurgen
Report this Post
Wayne K

This could be a number of things. You could have the wrong COM port selected in Admin tools, there could be something wrong with the COM port or USB-RS-232 adapter, you could have the wrong baud rate/RTE mode settings (if it is a J-815 if should have come with Spectra Manager Ver 2 so this may not be the issue), it is possible that that need an RS-232C cable with 2-chokes if that has been replaced. There could be some issue with the control box or the peltier itself. Can you advise the serial number of the instrument and in which country you are located? I could get the proper person in contact to suport you with more details.

Regards,

Wayne

Report this Post
Jurgen

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your reply. But there's some things I forgot to mention.

We've been running the J-815 on an older PC with XP on it. Due to some issues it's not reliable anymore. So we took another pc where they installed XP on as well.

Interesting point is that we got the problem on the newer pc. Where the window shows up that the peltier is not initialized.

When I switch everything back to the old pc, everything works as normal. When I open the 'Temperature Interval measurement' the controller is already shown in the window. So no ' not initialized' window there.

Don't get it, as both pc's have the same OS on them.

So in my opinion the problem is somewhere within the 2 pc's. The only difference there is one runs  on 2.66 GHz and the other one(older one) on 3 GHz. But can't imagine that's the problem.

Anyway, for your interest Wayne here 's the info on the peltier:

Model: MPTC-490S/15

SN: B005461326

And we're located at the University of Ghent in Belgiulm.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jurgen.

Report this Post
Wayne K

Jurgen,

I think the problem is probably the RS-232C for the Peltier controller on the new PC. It my be using the wrong COM port or possibly is not assigned properly in the Adminstrative Tools part of the software. In Europe you can contact JASCO Europe at www.jasco-europe-com and they should be able to further assist you.

Regards,

Wayne

Report this Post
Jurgen

Hi Wayne,

I'll check the RS-232C and the COM port. The reason I wrote in the forum here is that I want to avoid having a JASCO technician as he charges a very high rate. If it's an issue with the J-815 itself, I need to call him in. But this seems more like a IT case.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jurgen.

Report this Post
Jurgen

Hi Wayne,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem is solved. And as usual it was something stupid.

Even when I re-installed the Spectra Manager software it didn't seem to work. So I started comparing with what was on the old pc.

In Admin.tools, when you go to Instrument properties and than to the cell holder tab you choose temperature controller in the drop down list.

From there is another drop down list with all possible options to choose from.

We chose the Peltier 490S/15 which is the one we have. But that doesn't work.

By comparisen with the old pc we saw that another one is choosen. Peltier 490S is the one where it works with.

I just wanted to let you know as it could be helpful maybe for you as well.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,

Jurgen.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1