Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Avanti J-26 XP FRS Error

I have an Avanti J-26 XP that has recently started giving an FRS error. The vacuum pump test shows the chamber pressure is only getting down to ~366 mmHg. I have cleaned and greased the door seals with no improvement. 

What are the next troubleshooting steps? Is there a vacuum line running between the pump and chamber that could be failing?

If anyone has ideas or could send me the service manual, I would greatly appreciate it!

Asked by

ecampbell
Report this Post
dpkleessr

OK, first, the vacuum seal around the top of the chamber does NOT get vacuum grease applied to it as that could actually cause the chamber door to not open properly. You might want to check for debris accumulation underneath the door seal after you remove all of the vacuum grease you placed there. You might have a slight leak around the chamber boot that sits around the drive spindle and that could be caused by sagging drive motor mounts. The Avanti series of centrifuges had a history of issues with the drive mounts and that was finally resolved around 8 years ago so if you have an older centrifuge and have not had it serviced regularly then you may indeed need new drive mounts. There is a vacuum hose between the vacuum pump and the drive as well as a thin vacuum hose that taps off and goes to the vacuum sensor. I previously posted all of the steps to take to initialize all Avanti J series centrifuges. You should verify that the elevation and static air pressure are set correctly as those could impact the proper sensing of the centrifuge. I realize that unless you had an S7 system diagnostic that the values are probably still set to the original values but it cannot hurt to check.

Don

Report this Post
ecampbell

Thanks for the tips Don!

This is an older instrument, but was receiving routine service and preventative maintenance visits until mid-2015. 

The "grease" I applied was actually a rubber seal rejuvinator, and I inspected the gasket under the door seal as well. I will make sure there is no excess. The inner chamber is clean, with no signs of debris. 

I will inspect the chamber boot around the spindle, I'm not sure whether the drive mounts were replaced. 

My first thought was that the rubber hoses between the pump and chamber had degraded enough to leak, but everything I can see with the front cover off appears to be in good condition. 

I found your post regarding initialization, I will work through it carefully.

Thanks again!

Elliot

Report this Post
dpkleessr

The thing to look for as to the drive mounts is there color and do they have any banding on them. What happens is that they start sagging and can cause the chamber boot to start sagging down around the drive shaft creating vacuum issues. Not sure about the seal "rejuvinator" but the chamber seals were absolutely to remain dry. The other issue could be, since you say that it is an older centrifuge, is that the chamber is actually sinking down into the chamber support padding underneath the vacuum chamber. I encountered that problem a few times and there is very little that you can do about it depending on how bad it is. Check for excessive gaping between the top of the can and the gasket. The gasket is basically fixed to the top plate of the centrifuge so if the chamber starts sinking down you can get to the point where there is no longer good contact between the top of the can and the underside of the gasket.

Don

Report this Post
mqureshi1800

Hi 

I forgot to put the lid of the rotor in avanti J-26 XP, it stopped with an error, now the door is locked and both lights of door and drive are blinking. What should I do?

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1