Discussion Category:  Electron Microscopes

Differences in measurements

Hello, everybody!

Is it possible that the images obtained in the JSM-6010LA present some kind of shrinking? 

I am measuring orthodontic rectangular wires in cross-section view. The images obtained in one session of pictures were 5,58% smaller than the values obtained with the use of a micrometer. And the images obtained in a second session were 2% smaller than the values obtained with the micrometer. 

Can somebody help me, please? 

Thank you!!

Ricardo

Asked by

RicardoNunes
Report this Post
beamsysReply by
beamsys

Hi RIcardo,

Yes, of cause this is possible. Your JSM-6010 isn't a CD-SEM and chances are it didn't undergo any metrological calibrations and it magnification isn't under SPC control; mag error of 6% on analytical SEM located somewhere in shared use facility isn't unusual. Any differences in working conditions, such as acceleration voltage, working distance, detection mode, landing energy (due to poor grounding of your wires, for example), etc... would change mgnification.  I've had projects of matching CD-SEMs to within 0.5% and analytical SEMs to within 1%, but that involves significant hardware and process calibration effort (and expense). Unless metrological calibrations were done and continuous effort of maintaining them is undertaken I'd be happy with magnification errors within 10% range on analytical instrument.

Valery Ray
www.linkedin.com/in/valeryray
==============================
PBS&T, MEO Engineering Company
290 Broadway, Suite 298
Methuen, MA 01844, USA
Phone: +1-978-305-0479 - leave a message
Mobie: +1-978-305-0479 - leave a message
E-mail: vray@partbeamsystech.com
Web: www.partbeamsystech.com
Web: www.freudlabs.com  
Report this Post
RicardoNunes

Thank you, Beamsys for the quick response!

Very helpful.

Best regards!

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1