Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Would like to obtain Service Manual for DU-650

Does anyone have a lead on obtaining the Beckman Service Manual for the DU-650?  I called Beckman directly, and they were... unhelpful.  The Beckman document number is 559989.  I have had no luck Googling.

Thanks

Maek

Asked by

MCBPE
Report this Post
dpkleessr

First, the only manuals available anymore for that instrument would be electronic as Beckman went that way many years ago. Any old paper copies would be a waste because of all of the updates that took place after the paper copies were last printed.  Combine that with the fact that the DU600 series was obsolesced about 10 years ago and you also have little or no support for it from them except from old dinosaurs like myself on this site that retired over 5 years ago.  Service manuals were only sold even before I retired at local service management discretion because of 3rd party service competition.  Beckman's entire culture of customer support changed after they were bought by a financial holding company back in 2010 so unless you are paying, they are not playing and manuals are just not something they will sell anymore.

After all of that, if you are having issues with your DU600 series spec I will try to help as best I can.

Don

Report this Post
MCBPE

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected Beckman would be a dead end. I appreciate the offer of help. Here are some specific questions:

1) Looks like this unit has a "original" PC (serial mouse, 5 pin keyboard). Is there a way to boot into the PC rom-level startup, bypassing the canned Beckman software? And, will CTRL-ALT-DEL break out of the Beckman software? So far the keyboard is not talking to the unit. But, its a PS2 keyboard going into a 5 pin adapter. I have a 5 pin keyboard coming. What version of DOS is used?

2) I get the Visible Lamp error on startup. I have replaced the halogen bulb. No luck. Pulled the bulb out so I could see it, and it didn't light during test sequence. Is there a known failure in the lamp drive circuit I can look for?

3) I'm hoping to be able to use the RS-232 port for file transfer. If I can get into the basic DOS level, will the serial port behave 'normally'?

I will undoubtedly have more questions, if I can tax your patience.

Thanks for your help. Mark

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1