Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

UV Lamp does not fire, but heating filament is working.

My DU-520 UV/Vis Spec UV lamp does not fire up, though the warm-up filement glows.  I thought it might be that the UV lamp needed replacement.  The new UV lamp had the same results.  The startup diagnostics passed.  No problem with the visible wavelengths and lamp.  What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Asked by

CHSDoc1
Report this Post
dpkleessr

It is likely a problem with the UV lamp power supply. The filaments are low voltage but the anode requires a higher voltage to strike. It is obviously located right where the UV lamp plugs into the circuit board. Can't say that I ever replaced one so beyond that I can't offer much else. Beckman stopped selling contracts on them 5 years ago so I really don't know if they are even still servicing them or what the parts availability is like. Depending on where you are there may also be 3rd party service available for you spec.

Don

Report this Post
CHSDoc1

Thanks Don for your help.  I was able to purchase a refurbished DU-530 from AnytimeLabTrader, LLC, and got an exchange credit for my old one.  They were very helpfull and easy to work with.  

I was comparing the absorbance of a set of protein standards (0 - 2 mg/ml) and got a linear detector response using a DU-640 (0 - 2.5 AU@562nm), but a hyperbolic-like standard curve using the DU-530 with a maximum detector reponse less than 1.0 AU.  I would expect that the DU-530 should give a linear responce comparable to the DU-640.

What would you think would be the cause and solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Chuck

Chuck

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Frankly, I have never had anyone compare the two specs versus each other and I would have to find my DU500 series manual to even remember what the detectors response looks like. I do know that the optical benches on the two specs are very different, especially the detector assemblies. The fact that your response is so much lower on the DU530 has me concerned about how clean the optics are. That should not necessarily affect the shape of the curve but the significant difference between the maximum response of the two specs is a problem. I would be cleaning the optics on the DU530 before going any further if it was me. If I can find my manual for the DU530 I will get back to you with more information but feel free to ask me any questions you have. It has just been a long time since I even touched a DU530.

Don

Report this Post
LACAMSS

Hi, can you to send me manual to DU520 please? Tkx

my email is: labmani007@yahoo.fr

Report this Post
dpkleessr
I believe that you have problem with the high voltage supply for the UV lamp. It is located on the power supply board and when I had one fail for me I was only able to replace the board. I no lo her have a service manual for this spec so I can't help you out with that. Sorry I can't be of more help but that spec was actually only sold thru Beckman. It was manufactured by Haake so getting service in Europe should be easy. Don
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1