Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

another latch question

Our beckman J6-MC also had a door lock problem, it did not want to open after a run. You could open it by tripping the door lock as in figure 4-2 of the manual. This happend a few times, so I opened the the door lock, and the part whis you trip to open the lock seems te be broken. It was not straight and there was some kind of screw next to it. I think people really tright with too much force to open it. Because I can nowhere find a picture or drawing how this should look or if it is possible to order this part somewhere. Does somebody have a picture/drawing or an ordernumber?

I took it out and the machine worksfine, but you can open it during operation. This is not ideal offcourse.

Thanks,

Guus

Asked by

Guus
Report this Post
dpkleessr
The screw and piece of metal you removed are what makes up the door latch interlock wgich prevents the latch from being opened during a spin. The screw secures the metal piece to the post sticking up from the base of the latch and there is another hole in the metal piece that attaches to shaft with a pin sticking out from it. Attach the metal piece to that shaft and then secure it with the screw and everything should be back to normal. Be sure to secure the latch pull back handle because they often work loose but be careful with those small phillips head screws because they are very soft and strip easily.
Report this Post
Guus

Thanks for your reply, I see what you mean now. But then there is more damaged, The pin which comes from the base, which should push awau the latch indeed via the second hole. It seems than that it is broken, there comed a in out of the base and there was a second pin which was lying there. The pin from the base does not go in and out very smoothly. Is it possible to repair this pin or get a new pin relesing part. It seems also complicated to reach it.

Thanks,

Guus

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Sorry to say this but it sounds as if you need a new door latch assembly if indeed the latch is as broken as you have described.  Getting the door latch out of the centrifuge is not really difficult if you know where all of the fasteners are at as one in particular is hidden. I really have never heard of anyone repairing a latch that is damaged like yours apparently is and without even a picture to go by I don't have any other suggestion than replacing the latch. Let me know if you want to proceed to take the latch out and I will tell you how to do it.

Don

Report this Post
Guus

Hello Don, sorry for the late reply. Well It is for sure broken, I made a picture but I did not find out how to get it here. I can see that a lot of force has been used trying opening the lid. I indeed would like to try to get the latch out and see what can be done.

Thanks in advance,

Guus

Report this Post
dpkleessr

OK. What is the current status of the centrifuge?  If the door is open then we can go from there.

Report this Post
SHANI

hello i need service manual of beckman j6b

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Are you running the centrifuge without the door latch assembly installed?  If so, I really would like to know how you are doing that as the latch has interlock switches that would prevent the drive from ever spinning.  The door release handle has two small phillips head aluminum screws holding the handle onto the latch assembly so they need to be used to attach at all times.  You can post a picture to this site by clicking on the image icon so if at all possible please do so and I will try to help.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

I cannot give you a copy of the service manual because it is quite large and has many very long fold out pages for which I have no means to make copies.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

I cannot give you a copy of the service manual because it is quite large and has many very long fold out pages for which I have no means to make copies.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2