Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Ulvac R2 vac pump oil

Don,

I have 3 bottles of Type R2 oil, the oil in one of which is somewhat darker in colour than the other two. It actually looks the colour of one year old used oil, but the foil seal is unbroken. Do you think it's still useable?

Jeff

Asked by

medphysteo
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Jeff, There were actually even two versions of vacuum pump oil that Beckman used. The darker oil was used in the older vacuum pumps while the newer oil was primarily ised in newer fuges. Personally, about 4 years before I retired I just switched over to the newer oil in part because corporate put the old skull and crossbones on it because they found out some of the stuff in the oil "may" cause cancer whereas the newer' clearer oil apparently does not. I got in big trouble about it because I dared to question what was going on.

So, is there a difference? Possibly but I really don't know the brand of oil that you are dealing with. Are they compatible? Again, don't know. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer and get their MSDS for tge oil.

Don

Report this Post
medphysteo

Thanks Don.

I have contacted Ulvac, but wanted an opinion from the field as well.

Jeff

Report this Post
howard2012

My guess is that the old darker R2 oil was for slower running vee belt drive vacuum pumps. That oils was about SAE30 oil, but refined for vacuum pump use to remove the light fractions and give it a lower vapor pressure. The light er oil, probably about SAE20, is for the somewhat newer (1980s) direct drive vacuum pumps that rum at 1750 rpm instead of about 500 rpm. Modern vacuum pump oils have been further refined to reduce the sulphur content and as a result they look lighter in color. In some vacuum applications the sulphur content degrades first and shortens the life of the oil.

Report this Post
medphysteo

Thanks for the info. I contacted Ulvac, sent pictures, and they said I could use either oil. They said they had both colours on the shelf, too.

Jeff

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Jeff, My recommendation is use the lighter oil for any fuges you work on. Just from my own experience.

Don

Report this Post
medphysteo

10-4

Maybe my local Beckman FSE has the same experience, which is why I found the darker bottle amongst the waiting-to-be-disposed-of used oils.

Jeff

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1